Yield: 2/3 cup dressing
For the dressing
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup packed fresh basil
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 1-2 tsp. pure maple syrup, to taste
- 1/8-1/4 tsp. xanthan or guar gum
- Fine grain sea salt & black pepper, to taste (approx.1/4 tsp. each)
For the salad
- Slivered almonds, toasted
- Shredded unsweetened coconut, toasted
- Mixed greens
- Strawberries, chopped
- Chiffonade fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 300F. Toast the almonds for about 7-8 minutes and then remove and add the coconut. Toast another 2-4 minutes, or until lightly golden, watching closely so the coconut doesn’t burn.
- In a blender, add the strawberries, basil, lemon juice, and water. Process until smooth. Add in the xanthan or guar gum with the machine running. Then add salt, pepper, and maple syrup to taste and process again.
- Assemble the salad as desired. Leftover dressing should keep for at least a few days in a sealed container.