Serves: about 3
- 10-11 Patty Pan Squash
- 1 zucchini (sliced lengthwise in half with one half scooped out)
- 1 large carrot
- 1 large green onion stalk (or 1/2 sm. sweet onion will work)
- 1 cup short grain brown rice
- 2 cups low-sodium (or no salt) vegetable bouillon
- 1-2 garlic cloves, poked with a fork
- 3 Tbsp. (approx) tomato paste
- 1.5 Tbsp. white or yellow miso paste
- Freshly Ground black pepper
- Dried or fresh parsley, to garnish
1) Take a medium sized pot and bring 2 cups of vegetable bouillon + poked garlic cloves to a boil on high.
Add 1 cup short grain brown rice and stir well, checking often. Add more bouillon if it gets too dry. After about 10 minutes reduce to medium heat. Cook for about 20-25 more minutes over medium heat. Check it often as it can burn easily.
2) While the rice is cooking, take a large pot and fill it with 1-2 inches of water and bring to a boil. Place patty pan squash in the pot and cook for about 7-8 minutes. Remove from heat, drain, and allow to cool.
3) While the above is cooking, prepare the stuffing. Take the carrot, 1/2 a zucchini (plus insides from other half), and green onion and process in a food processor until fine.
4) In a small bowl, mix the sauce for the rice. Take the miso paste in a small bowl and mix with the tomato paste until smooth.
5) When the rice is done cooking remove garlic cloves, add the tomato paste + miso paste mixture, and stir very well. Taste. Add black pepper.
6) Take the cooled squash and chop off the heads and remove the insides carefully with a spoon. Take the flesh that you remove and add it to the processed mixture of carrots, onion, and zucchini.
7) Take the processed mixture (carrots, zucchini, onion + squash insides) and dump it into the rice pot. Stir well and taste for any adjustments you need to make.
8) Stuff the Patty Pan squash with the rice + veggie mixture. Take any remaining leftover rice mixture and scoop it onto the pan around the squash. Bake in the oven at 375F for about 20-25 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley, serve and enjoy!