Yield: About 10 muffins
10 pitted medjool dates (about 1 cup)
1/2 cup water
2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 (16-ounce) can pumpkin puree (about 1 cup)
1/4 cup soured milk (1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice or vinegar added to plant milk, let sit for 5 minutes)
1/3 cup applesauce
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
For the date cream:
- Cover the pitted dates generously with water and soak for a couple hours or overnight.
- Drain, saving the water to use as part of all of the 1/2 cup of water in the recipe.
- Add the soaked dates and the water to a food processor or blender. Blend to a rich paste.
For the muffin base:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners (or use a silicon pan).
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients, including the date cream. Add to the dry ingredients until just mixed.
- Fill the prepared muffin cups to the top and bake for 40-45 minutes, until the tops bounce back when lightly pressed. Muffins will be moist and flavorful.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for 1-2 minutes, then remove the muffins from the pan and serve as is, or with your favorite jam. Store in an airtight container.