Yield: 2 cups
- 1 bunch curly kale (approximately 8 oz., but precision is not required), stems removed, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch garlic scapes roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups toasted walnuts
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt, or to taste
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast (optional)
- Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Stir in the chopped kale and cook for approximately 4 minutes, or until the kale has softened and turned bright green. Immediately transfer the kale to a colander and thoroughly rinse it with cold water, then let drain.
- Dry the blanched kale thoroughly, using towels or a salad spinner.
- Add the garlic scapes to a food processor, and pulse until finely chopped. Add the walnuts and continue to pulse until no large pieces of walnuts remain (do not blend completely).
- Add the lemon juice, blanched kale, optional nutritional yeast, and sea salt, and continue to pulse until the kale is finely chopped, stopping to scrape down the sides and gently stir the mixture as needed.
- Leftover pesto will keep in the refrigerator for up to a week, and also freezes well.
Since this contains no oil, feel free to dilute down with a little vegetable broth, when serving
Source: Yup…It’s Vegan!