Serves: 6 to 8 (makes about 8.5 cups salad; 1 cup dressing)
For the salad:
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled, and cut into ¾-inch pieces (about 6 cups)
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach leaves
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup sliced almonds (plus extra for garnish)
- 2 ribs celery, sliced (about ¾ cup)
- 4 green onions, white and green parts, sliced
Creamy Curry Dressing:
- ½ cup water
- 2 ounces raw, unsalted cashews (about ½ cup)
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 medium clove garlic, sliced
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- To make the dressing, be sure to zest the orange first before juicing it. Set the zest aside.
- Place all of the remaining ingredients (water, cashews, orange juice, curry powder, and garlic) into a blender, and set aside for at least 15 minutes (so the cashews can soften).
- To make the salad, place the sweet potatoes into a soup pot, and cover them with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, uncovered. Reduce the heat to medium-high, and cook until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife but not falling apart, about 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water, and set aside.
- Once the potatoes have thoroughly drained, place them into a large bowl, along with the spinach, raisins, almonds, celery, and green onions.
- Blend the dressing ingredients until smooth. Stir the orange zest into the blended dressing with a fork (but don’t blend it). Then stir the dressing into the salad. Serve warm or chilled as is, or topped with sliced almonds, if desired