YIELD: Serves 4
If you have some leftover soup, it can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days, or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- 1 medium brown onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 Tbsp. grated ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander seed
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 5 lb. carrots, diced into 1cm pieces
- 1 tsp. grated orange zest
- 8-9 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tbsp. low-sodium miso (optional- omit for soy free version)
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
Bring a large pot to a medium heat. Add 1/4 cup of water, onion, garlic and ginger and sauté for 5 minutes. Add more water as needed to stop the ingredients from sticking to the pan.
Add the cumin, ground coriander seed and cayenne pepper and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add the carrots and orange zest and sauté for 5 minutes, or until the carrots are tender.
Add the vegetable broth, bring to a boil for 2-3 minutes, and then reduce the heat to medium. Cover, and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
Remove the pot from the heat. Add orange juice and miso and stir through.
Using an immersion blender (stick blender) blend the soup until it is smooth and no chunks remain. Stir through the parsley and cilantro before serving.