For Apple Topping:
- 4 Gravenstein apples, peeled, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon organic cornstarch
- 1/2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds (flax meal)
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch ground allspice
- pinch ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tablespoons apple sauce
- 2/3 cup apple juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
Prepare the topping:
- Toss all topping ingredients in a medium (4 quart) pot, sprinkle on the cinnamon. Mix so that the corn starch dissolves. Use an angled wooden spoon to do the mixing since it reaches the bottom corners of the pot.
- Cover pot and bring to a boil, watching closely. Once boiling, lower heat to a simmer and cook for 20 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Once apples are nice and tender, smash a few of them to thicken sauce. Remove from heat and keep covered until ready to serve.
Prepare the pancakes:
- Pour almond milk into a measuring cup. Mix in apple cider vinegar and ground flax seeds with a fork. Set aside; mixture will thicken.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, sift together flours, baking powder, spices and salt. Create a well in the center and add the milk mixture and the apple sauce, apple juice, vanilla and maple syrup. Use a fork to mix until relatively smooth, a few lumps are okay. Let the batter rest, and preheat a large, non-stick or cast iron pan over medium heat.
- When pan is hot, spray with a thin layer of cooking spray and use a scant 1/4 cup measure to pour batter and form pancakes.. Cook until the edges are dry and the tops of the pancakes are only slightly wet, about 2 1/2 to 3 minutes, then flip and cook for 2 minutes more. Serve hot with apple topping.